Friday, January 18, 2008

Spending too long in the candy store


All week long I promised myself that today, Friday, I would allow myself to curl up under my covers and stay there all day if I wanted. Friday is my day off, the day that I love. I get to do whatever I want. I can go out to eat, I can shop, I can hang out with Melinda or Leah, I can do everything...or I can do nothing. All that is required of me is that I must get a few assignments printed out and ready for Jon. A small price to pay for a day off of schooling, dishes, laundry, everything!

So I had my coffee with Jon and set out to re-stock my Gap outlet Ebay store. My sales have dropped dramatically with the cold weather and my falling disposition. But today I felt inspired. Maybe it was the weather, maybe it was hanging out with good friends last night, maybe it was my husband praying for me. Whatever the reason, I felt inspired. I felt happy. I felt like it was spring. I went into the Gap and smelled the strong scent of a great sale, a full cart, and grumpy salespeople. Amazing overstock sales today. I've never had such a full cart, and I've never spent so much money in one swoop.

After that, I went to this candy company that I had heard about called Gallerie. Okay, amazing, amazing place. A must see. I guess the huge building is where they make the stuff and then there is this teeny, tiny room for a clearance center. They make the candy for things like Choxie at Target and Macy's candy boxes. And they have things like Choxie turtles for $2 a pound!!! Dove chocolate for $2/lb., M&M's for $2/lb. The crowning jewel: I almost bought dark chocolate covered coffee beans for $2/lb, which was going to be my most incredible buy of the day. But, BUT...(my heart is beating fast just writing about it), then I saw it:

The 10 pound box of, you guessed it, dark chocolate coffee beans.

EEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! (Girl screams and does the 'oh my gosh' dance while wiping tears from her eyes, that's me)

You guessed it, I bought it, the whole kit and caboodle for the incredible rock bottom bargain-basement price of $5.00!

I decided it was time to get out of there before I spent too much money and before I brought too much candy into the house, but doggone it, old rusty wouldn't start. Even after some wonderful worker named Dee tried to jump Jon's truck with a car even older than Rusty, I was still stuck. Add to that the fact that I didn't have my smell phone plus the fact that Jon couldn't come to get me for a while because he had to pick up Jack from school...and you have a lonnnnggg time to spend in the candy store. I ended up buying things like two pounds of gummy teeth and gummy brains ($1.60 total), 4 pounds of candy bones (.40 TOTAL), and more turtles (I had to eat some while I was waiting).

I did spent a lot of time waiting in the truck with no heat, but I knew that Jon would come and rescue me. And when he rode in on his white horse (aka, gold van) with the boys all hanging out the doors and windows, I swooned.

My Braveheart sidled up, assessed the situation, and immediately mobilized the troops. "Boys, get your coats on and zipped up. Melanie, get back in. Okay, boys, up here, we're going to push this baby to start." I've never kick-started a car before and quite honestly, I didn't believe it would work. But the way Jon said it, with such confidence, and the way the boys were all in front of me pushing the truck backwards out of my parking spot, I knew it would work. I had no idea how we were going to go from me turning the key, getting absolutely no noise, no turnover, no nothing...to the truck starting just because they pushed it fast enough. But if those boys could be out in that cold pushing and believing, doggone it, so could I. And when Jon said to pop it, I popped it - and it roared to life. How does that happen??? I felt like Jon had slayed a dragon for me. I don't know if anyone else felt it, but I tell you, I felt it. He had come for me. He had rescued me. Me and my coffee beans. Me and my baggage, all of my baggage, both literal and figurative. He had come. Just as I knew he would.

So, if you must spend all day in the candy store, just know that you will end up buying something totally impractical like a little pooping candy cow. Coffee beans, practical, cow, impractical. So why did eveyone go crazy over a silly cow that poops green candy?

3 comments:

Reverb said...

And best of all, you shared the love! Thanks for the ChocoBeans!

Jon is my hero too. Shh...don't tell him.

jennifer king said...

melanie, you write brilliantly! this was a great post, esp. the part about jon rescuing you!

DanThoms said...

and best of all you shared the love with Ryan and he shared the love with me, good beans.