Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A Good Day

Today was a good day, a great day. Again, I got up and was totally dressed and ready before I headed downstairs for the day - Day 2. Jon and Gable were already heading out to the Community Center for some dad-son time. So it was just Jonah, Jack, and me. The boys got their chores done with no complaining and started school. Around 2, Jon and the boys decided to go to the skatepark to try out Jon's new skateshoes. Where did I head? Straight up the stairs, as fast as I could...to my bed. Ahhhh. When did life get so good? How did this happen, in the middle of a Tuesday afternoon - peace and quiet AND a nap. Of course, when I got up, all of the boys' friends started pouring in. They all were skateboarding at a frenzied pace on the driveway with no blood, wonder of wonders. And, here is the crowning jewel of the day - I made t-bone steaks for dinner.

I must admit that I did feel a bit posh going down to the freezer in the basement and pondering over which cut of beef I wanted for dinner. We have 1/8 of a dead cow lying in our freezer. It's a bit creepy at night, but I won't pass that on to the boys: nightmares would surely ensue.

The only low point of the day was this morning when I just wanted to slip on a pair of shoes to go outside and shovel dog poop. Just on a whim, I decided to try on Jonah's slip-on Chuck Taylor's. Unfortunately...they fit me. Mind, the last time I had a pair of Chucks on my feet was when he was almost one year old and Jon and I each bought matching dark green converse. We decided that our little baby needed some too, so we dyed a pair of white jimmies the same color green as ours so we could all match. As I am standing there with my baby's shoes fitting comfortably on my feet, I am re-living the whole Chuck Taylor shoe history. sigh...

But, today was good, which is a real bonus for me considering it is early January. Usually by now I am curled up in a fetal position half of the time.

Today was a gift.

2 comments:

Helen Ann said...

I hear ya on the curled up fetal position on normal winter days...I am loving the warmth! Being solar and heat powered I thrive in spring and summer temps...Otherwise it's pretty much come home from work, nap, eat, go to bed.

Reverb said...

I hate the wintertime. Everyone in my family is either bipolar or an axe murderer. Since I've never wanted to hack anyone to pieces I'm assuming I fall into the former category.

Thank God for the good days. I'll be praying for more of them for you.