Monday, January 21, 2008

A Day in the Country


Ah, a day in the country with the boys. We have friends who live in Patriot, Indiana. It's about 50 minutes from here. We set out just after chores this morning. Packed up our coats and gloves and hats and settled in for the drive. We drank coffee (water for the boys) and ate warm blueberry muffins in the van. We wound along the river through Sunman and into Patriot. Traveled gravel roads and saw horses wearing coats. When we pulled in, we stopped to admire the Osowski's horses. Beautiful creatures blowing smoke in the cold. We saw their two nine-month old calves and two longhorn cows. Free range chickens and all things natural and beautiful. A pond, a dog, three cats, rabbits. ahhhh.


Oh, to have a home in the country like that. Actually, I love this house, the Hill House. Jon also has family in Versailles, and I love their farm too. And I have another amazing friend in Patriot. Her name is Jenny and she makes organic soap. She raises goats and peacocks and has a huge farm of vegetables. But my point is, I have a lot of friends with farms and I love those farms. I am totally at ease in these places. I can settle in and come to life. And five years ago when we were trying to decide where we wanted our next move to be, I was totally convinced that I wanted a farm. Jon wanted a subdivision with sidewalks and cul-de-sacs and kids everywhere in cozy coupes. I wanted acres of land with vines to swing from and ponds to jump in. Hay bales to climb and animals to slop.


We compromised and found the perfect place. The place we now call home. The place I love more than any of my friends' farms. But today at the farm was wonderful. A change of pace. We didn't even do our schoolwork today. The boys jumped on their trampoline and played Dance Revolution and laughed and laughed. They did flips and ran from the rooster, the evil Elvis. And I got to hang out and have coffee with friends.


Another good day.


No comments: