Sunday, January 20, 2008

A Kernel of Corn


Saturday night is the night that Jon tries to get in bed at 9:00. He and Jonah get up around 4:30 on Sunday mornings to get to church by 5:30 to set up. So, he goes to bed at a decent hour and after the boys are all in bed, I have a couple hours alone. In the quiet.

We had read our books, said our prayers and were all tucked in bed when my next-door neighbor called and said those words. The words that make any veteran mom chuckle because, after all, she's been there before and totally understands, "My daughter stuck something up her nose."

Emma, one of my little girly-friends, is three. She is hilarious. She and her mom, Val, are like two peas in a pod. They both will cross their arms, wag their heads and say, "Oh no you di-unnnt". Emma will put her head down and tell you that she's "berry, berry disappointed in you," and walk away. She will yell at my boys for playing football in the front yard, telling them to be nice and "STOP hurting each other, that's NOT NICE!"

Well, last night, she had stuck a kernel of corn up her nose. Lodged it right at the top and she wanted me to get it out. What an honor. I like to think that they needed me, needed my expertise and my calming presence...but in reality, Emma's mommy and daddy did just fine. They knew not to reach for it unless they could plainly see it (check). They knew it would work it's way out, either out the nose or down the throat. They knew not to panic and drag her to an emergency room to sit for three hours. They had her blow and blow and cough and blow. They tried to get it with the suction bulb and the tweezers. Just try holding down a three-year old and holding a flashlight at the same time. Long story short, after knocking it loose with tweezers and letting that kernel 'think about it' for an hour or so, Emma was able to blow that bad boy out. That baby shot across the room like it was in a watermelon seed-spitting contest.

And I'm sure, quite sure, that Emma will not be putting anything else up there until she is 18 and gets a nose ring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once again we couldn't of done it without you. "I want my Miss Melknee" Em cried. She loves you and so do we!!