Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Danger in the Checkout Line

Okay, I've never posted a disclaimer before, but if you find yourself appalled at topics like genitalia and menstruation...you best sit this one out.

The checkout line is always a dangerous spot for us. Not because of the temptation of all the candy and pop. Oh, no. It is dangerous simply because for that three minutes or so, my boys have a captive audience. This was a problem when my boys were younger because whatever was rolling around their little minds popped out of their mouths. Like the time one of them was potty training and told the cashier that he had on big boy underwear. Not a big deal, but then he pulled down his pants to show her his little Winnie-the-Pooh underwear. When another one of my boys was learning about the differences between boys and girls, he asked another unsuspecting cashier if she had a penis. It didn't embarrass my boys any as one of them even pulled down his pants to show everyone what a penis was, just in case they didn't know...

Like I said, it was a much bigger problem when the boys were little, but now I find myself following in their footsteps. Last night, while checking out, the man behind me was asking for directions for potato salad and the boys were doing something else and I was digging through my purse for a quarter. I found my quarter, closed my purse..and then discovered that while rifling through my purse, I had knocked out a lone...women's sanitary product...and it was now moving all alone down the conveyor belt. I am proud to say that I didn't panic. I told myself that 1) I am in a grocery store and people buy whole boxes of these all the time and 2) nature is a beautiful thing. My boys just watched the whole thing and thought nothing of it. After all, these are the boys that have proudly plastered themselves with pads and declared them big band-aids. They thought they would make terrific band-aids until they had to tear them off of their wounds...duh...

I'm sticking to U-Scan now, baby.

4 comments:

julie s. said...

now, that's the jon price we know and love.....

julie s. said...

so, when avery was 1 1/2, we were at a really, REALLY, pretty outdoor wedding. i gave him my purse for entertainment. after which, i paid him no mind...until i saw a cottony, white thing on a string spinning in the air. as did everyone around me. oh. my. gosh. luckily, the thing didn't take flight....

Helen Ann said...

You mean the boys didn't grab it up, open it and scream "Air Raid" before shooting it over to the other aisle?? :) :)

This reminds me of the time Denny and I came home to find that our foster dog had dragged the contents of the bathroom waste basket out into livingroom area. As I was um, hosting Aunt Flo at the time, the basket was filled with used maxis which the dog had torn apart. It looked like the scene of a violent crime.

I wanted to be mad but it was so appalling it was funny and Den was completely grossed out. :)

Reverb said...

I cannot tell you how many times my dogs have found "items of interest" in the bathroom garbage can. Almost always, they belong to someone other than Allison which somehow makes it even way grosser to me. Blech.

Any creature that can bleed for 3-7 days without dying is astonishing.